Looking for the master of swimming, SuDal A side story. – You told me to come over and hang out.
– I told you to come over and hang out. But for some reason, they made us swim in the outside in the morning at the hotel. – The one we shoot in the morning, that was the training video for today.
– That was a training video. – I live in Daegu.
– You speak in Busan dialect. – It’s Daegu dialect!
– Daegu dialect? Busan dialect is a little more country-like. – Now, this, the size L.
– Okay. – Do I just wear it like this?
– Yes. Do you have a smaller one? I have a small face.. Go there and look in the mirror. – Am I supposed to do it like this?
– This is so funny for no reason. How should I put this on? Like this? – Look in the mirror, and pull your hair like this.
– Look in the mirror. Your face is bulging out from this. – Do I look funny?
– You look fine. – You need to pull all your hair in the back in like this.
– Is my hair supposed to stick out like this? – I will pull your hair in.
– And the gloves. Your face, haha, so funny. – You have to pull in all your hair inside the suit. Otherwise the sea water comes into your suit. So this is how we are going to interview? – Hello, nice to meet you!
– Hello. Today I came here just like a Haeneyo (female divers of Jeju) And I am going to shoot a video with the Haenyeos here. Could you introduce yourselves? Hello, I am Jeong Chunja. Oh Sunja. Thank you, thank you. Since I was going to shoot this with the Haenyeos in Hadori I was adjusting the schedule from long before. Because it’s such a popular place, I had to wait until winter to arrange the schedule So now I came down here for the shooting. If you see this and you like it, and if you wanted to come here as well, Then you should arrange the schedule ahead. It is a really popular place, so it was really hard to make an appointment.. So, how long have you been working as Haenyeo? My career is now about.. 40 years? Wow, 40 years! Me too, it has been a little over 40 years. Wow, it looks like everyone here basically has 40 years of experience. If you started at 20, it is a very early start. Then today, I will try what Haenyeos do, And also we are here to do a diving competition with you today. So we are going to do a diving competition, Because there are two of you, so it’s a little too overwhelming for me to do it on my own, So I invited another best mercenary. I will introduce her, please come on out! Nice to meet you. I was forced to come here to Hado for a diving competition. I’m the master of swimming, Lee Hyehwa. – If we are going to compete on diving, I think Haenyeos will win.
– Right! Haenyeos are best known for their diving skills. But we were swimmers, Who are known for good lung capacity among other athletes, So we are going to challenge the Haenyeos today. She invited me to come over and hang out, I’m serious. Actually, the swim master Lee Hyehwa, I contacted her to come hang out in Jeju Island so she came over yesterday. And this morning, we did a special training in the outdoor pool in the hotel. She might not have no idea. I made her do training in the outdoor pool And I invited her to the sea. I can’t say anything harsh because of the camera, but.. In the morning, I enjoyed the swimming – in the hotel pool,
– You did practicing, so you’ll be good at it. You did practicing, so you’ll be good at it. She bought me a hamburger and dragged me all the way to the beach.. – Too bad.
– Anyways, today, We are going to learn from the Haenyeos about their diving work, Harvest some conch, – And do diving competition. That will be our plan today.
– And let’s do a conch harvesting competition too. – Ah, conch harvesting competition!
– Oh, – Yes, conch harvesting.
– Good. Yes, I will do my best with it. – Then let’s move to the sea together now.
– All right. – Yes, let’s.
– Let’s go to the sea. Okay! I wanted two hamburgers for some reason. You set me up for all this! I mean, she’s really intentional. She’s a complete… I have come here all the way, And she’s making me.. – Come on, girl, let’s go.
– Let’s go. Give us one. Let’s take a picture. – A picture?
– Wear it to the back. Ma’am. – Let’s go!
– Let’s go! – I am so exhausted.
– Yeah, me too. One, two, three, go! – Okay.
– Did you get it? Wow, it’s hard to make money. It was the loudest thing you said. – Now, Lee Hyehwa the Haenyeo, are you ready for this competition?
– I will see you later. – I am sorry.
– Kim Yeseul, the Haenyeo, are you ready for today’s work? Now that I am here, In this cold sea.. I feel sorry for her. – Let’s do it right.
– Now that we’re here, I will do it right. – Okay, let’s go!
– Let’s go! – Wow, it’s freezing. – Oh, my toes. – Wow, it’s cold. Is it water or ice? I can’t tell. It’s so cold. – “Because it’s cold!”
– “Because it’s cold!” “Wow, it’s cold.” “Aren’t you cold?” – “Are you okay?”
– “It’s freezing” Hey I am getting water in my armpit. This is sea trumpet. – Sea trumpet.
– Oh, sea trumpet. We Haenyeos, this is our job and we make a living out of this. – Now..
– And giving the pocket money for our grandchildren… She was about to say “grandchildren” and then she dived in. When I dive once, I get about this much. It’s so cold, my hands froze. It’s freezing, and Haenyeos keep diving in while they’re talking. – They are gone diving all the time.
– See the conch? Wow, this is huge, this is huge. – Could we even compete with them?
– Forget about the competition, it’s freezing. – Forget about the competition.
– I don’t care about the competition anymore. Hey. Here’s another conch. – Let’s harvest some conch.
– Let’s get them. Wow, the water’s salty. I got conch. Wow, this is big. – The conch.
– Wow, three at one time. It was cold in the beginning, But it isn’t as freezing as the beginning. Because I keep swimming. It’s fun. But.. – It’s cold because the water’s cold.
– Right. “I am not cold anymore.” – Wow, it’s chilly.
– The water’s really freezing because it’s winter. It’s cold.. Hey. I am drooling now. Runny nose, crying, and drooling all over. Actually, they do this for living, I don’t think I could win them with conch harvesting. I don’t think this competition is significant. And our next competition, We are going to switch to long dives. – First up.
– First up, Lee Hyehwa. – Second up, Kim Yesul. Jeong Chunja. Fourth, Oh Sunja. Former national team versus us, Hadori Haenyeos. We will try a relay diving competition. The rule would be, The first diver will dive And when she’s out of breath and comes up, – The next up will dive right away.
– Okay. – Now, are you ready?
– All right. – Yes, good.
– Now, ready. Start. You have to go underwater You’re doing good. You are doing good. Team national athlete is doing good. Ah~ Team Haenyeo is also doing good! Team Haenyeo, Team Haenyeo dived underwater. She is still underwater. She came up. The second player went underwater. You have to go underwater! Go underwater When I go underwater I use so much energy Then we cannot have a fair competition. They are already complaining. Telling us to go underwater We were kind of sly. Because The Haenyeos dived underwater and stayed in the water so they used so much energy from their body so their breath runs out faster. -But we were floating.
-We did not move. -That’s why you lasted long.
-Right. So Hold on to the boulders. -You have to hold on to the boulder.
-If you were trained as an athlete back then you would have been great at it. Right. She really did great, You have to hug the boulder. -The boulder
-I will hug a big boulder. Hold onto the boulder. Okay. We will do it again as an individual match. We will go underwater individually Start! I can’t do it. Oh my oh my There is no boulder I can hold. It’s hard. It is hard. It’s very hard. Hey come out come out We It’s hard. Where did she go? Come out. Where did she go. Ah now you can breath. Did I win the first place? Hey, I can’t do it. When I looked around, no one showed any movement Oh, I’m in the first place? You hold your breath longer than Haenyeos. Thank you. Guys, I won the first place! -She won the first place.
-I am a national athlete. A national athlete. Hey. The every boulders I held got lifted up. All of the boulders I held got lifted up. Yeah. we made really good memories at the Hadori Haenyeo village. It was cold but it was really fun. And thanks to two Haenyeos today and Teacher Lee Hyehwa Thank you so much. Swimming is not hard~ Bye. -Bye.
-Not hard. -It’s not hard. Visit our village! -Visit here.
-This is the experience village. How do you say ‘I want to go out’ in Jeju dialect? -There are many things to eat
-I want to go out. -It is a really great experience village.
-Yes. The location is really good when you visit in the Summer. When you visit here Right. It is really great. You can see Udo and Seongsanpo, this is a great location. Come visit here~ Come visit~ What is ‘I want to go out’ in Jeju dialect